• The human rights chief of the United Nations has urged Israel to grant his team entry to Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City. This request comes after Israel’s military shared a video claiming that there was a Hamas “operational tunnel shaft” within the hospital grounds. However, both the militant group and medical administrators have promptly dismissed this allegation as “ridiculous.”
• Israel has faced considerable international scrutiny in substantiating its allegations regarding Hamas’s alleged infiltration of the hospital. CNN lacks the ability to independently authenticate Israel’s assertion that the image depicts a Hamas tunnel.
• During a televised briefing on Thursday, IDF spokesman Daniel Hagari stated that military engineers were still engaged in efforts to uncover the tunnel infrastructure. Volker Türk, the United Nations’ High Commissioner for Human Rights, urged Israel to allow impartial investigators entry into Gaza to examine the conflicting assertions.
• On Thursday, Türk emphasized the need for an impartial international investigation due to the conflicting accounts surrounding the situation. He stressed that hospitals should not be used for military purposes and that attacking them without clear evidence is unacceptable. The release of the video coincided with the IDF’s ongoing operations in and around the hospital complex.
• Since the October 7 attack by Hamas militants, Israel has been conducting airstrikes in Gaza, resulting in the deaths of over 11,000 people, including 4,700 children, The text has been received by the Palestinian Ministry of Health located in Ramallah.
• UN Human Rights chief urges independent investigation into allegations against Al-Shifa hospital.The United Nations’ human rights chief has called for an independent investigation into the claims made against Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City. This comes after Israel’s military released a video alleging that there was a Hamas “operational tunnel shaft” within the hospital grounds. However, both the militant group and medical administrators have dismissed these claims as “ridiculous.”
• The video, which has been geolocated by CNN, shows a hole in the ground and a reinforced shaft, but does not provide any evidence of the inside of the tunnel. In response to the mounting international pressure, Israel has been urged to allow independent investigators access to Gaza to examine the competing narratives. The UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, emphasized the need for an impartial investigation to determine the truth and ensure that hospitals are not used for military purposes.
• Volker Türk, the United Nations’ High Commissioner for Human Rights, urged Israel to allow impartial investigators entry into Gaza to examine the conflicting assertions.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://amp. cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/17/middleeast/israel-alleged-hamas-tunnel-al-shifa-intl hnk/index.html&ved=2ahUKEwiFv4T0zMqCAxXeSmwGHR2-
WRITTEN BY -Madhu pandey , COLLEGE- Lloyd law college , A first SEMESTER LEGAL JOURNALISM INTERN AT LEGAL VIDHIYA
Disclaimer: The materials provided herein are intended solely for informational purposes. Accessing or using the site or the materials does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The information presented on this site is not to be construed as legal or professional advice, and it should not be relied upon for such purposes or used as a substitute for advice from a licensed attorney in your state. Additionally, the viewpoint presented by the author is of a personal nature.